Sunday 15 February 2009

Young Coyotes @ Schuba's - Valentine's Day

I just saw these guys last night at Schuba's, and they were awesome. Young Coyotes are from Denver, Colorado and got together about 8 months ago (as the result of the deaths of a few other bands, they like to say). Today the band is made up of Adam Halferty, drums and vocals, and Zach Tipton, guitar and vocals. These two have an awesome sound, with a lot of post rock influence, but with only an acoustic guitar and a set of drums! Really impressive, especially live. A note about Adam's drumming too, I've never seen anyone play more of a drumset than he does, using not only the drum faces but also the rims, the stands, and a tambourine he has perched atop his high hat. A ton of fun to watch and really great guys. I had a long talk with them after the show before we peaced the fuck out because of the last band....................

Caveat: Don't ever go see Take the Panda! I cannot stress that enough. They were the final band and we left in the middle of their creepy-old-man cover of "Tainted Love". These are the guys who's wives say, "Oh yeah my husband's in a rock band." They're all married and attempting to be cool. And as far as their original music, I'm pretty sure when they sat down to figure out their sound, this is how the conversation went.

"Well I really like Huey Lewis and the News."
"Yeah well I also like grunge metal."
"Yeah well I really like shitty music."
"Woah, dudes, we can do all of that."

No, no they can't. But they tried.

Anyway, bottom line:
Young Coyotes - Really good, check them out. http://www.myspace.com/youngcoyotes
Take the Panda - Horrible and creepy, I pray they don't tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment